ASEA awards scholarships annually in the amount of $1,000 each. Applicants can submit applications between January 1st and March 15th each year. The John F. Motes Scholarship is awarded in honor of the impact that John F. Motes had on the lives of others and for his dedication to the State of Arkansas.
Applicant must be either:
- The child, grandchild, great-grandchild, stepchild, or legally adopted child of a member of ASEA.
- Member of ASEA who is currently employed by the State of Arkansas.
The individual seeking scholarship funds must fall within one of these limited groups. Members of ASEA who have an eligible individual who apply for the John F. Motes Scholarship must retain their membership at least one year following the application deadline.
- Applicant must provide all information requested in the application. Incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- 3.25 or higher high school or college GPA
- Full-time state employees without applicable GPA or test results will be judged on work performance, quality of essay, references, and community service.
- Quality of essay (typed, answers essay question, single-spaced, grammar, organization, etc.)
- Community leadership
- Applicant must enroll in a degree program at a higher education institution within the State of Arkansas. Institutions include two-year, four-year and vocational-technical colleges throughout the State of Arkansas.
With the completed application, student must enclose the following items:
- Two letters of recommendation
- An official high school and/or college transcript (your school should mail you this and it should be included in your packet to us)
- In 500 words or less write a response to the following question: How do you plan to use your higher education degree to have a positive impact on the lives of others, and the state of Arkansas? *Essay must be typed*
Scholarship Application Deadline
The application and requested material is to be returned to Arkansas State Employees Association with a postmarked date of no later than March 15th of each year. Only those application packets received with a postmarked date between January 1st and March 15th will be considered for review. A new application must be submitted each year.
Motes Application (fill in the fields)
Motes Application (word doc)